Tuesday 18 September 2012

Condition your crowd


This is how I replied to a post on a magicians forum. The magican said that kids enjoy the magic but they just sat in silence. They don't clap and cheer.

First this is normal behaviour for them. And we don't want to force a response. But you do have to let them know a few thing. First up what you expect. Then how they respond.

When I am doing close up I engage with my viewers. I ask them if they enjoyed that. I also look for reactions from people. And point them out. I say look that put a smile on his face, Then I follow up with either thank them or supporting there reactions so they and others know its ok. I find that this helps and gets them on your side. And I find there a lot more animated and chatty at the end. At the end there probably will clap on there own accord.

Some time with walk round and especially when busking I am less descreat. When I do my final trick the egg bag. I use a volunteer. And my patter goes a bit like this - Ok when I go 3,2,1 your going to wave your hand over the empty bag, And if something amazing happens the audience is going to clap and cheer. This give my helper clear instructions so they are safe and confidant. But it also tells the audience what is expected of them.

You never force your audience to much. They don't need to to do cart wheels ever time you do something. But if you point out what expected from them and create a safe place for them to express them self. Your have a better time and there have a better time with a little puzzlement and wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment